Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Munich

My Munich Motivation.

When Kel suggested 'Munich' last Sunday, I'd thought that WHOA, not another Bloody-Mutilation movie. But Munich turned out to be another Steven Spielberg success, albeit me being impatient for it to end.

The approximately 2.5 hours movie started off with scenes from the September 5, 1972 attack on Israeli athletes in the Munich Olympic Village.(
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/mm-munich.html ) The focus then shifted to the retaliation of the Israelis to the attack, and the setting up of a secret squad to track down and assassinate the 11 Palestinians who were believed to have planned the attack. Read movie sypnosis at:http://movies.wn.com/movie/Munich_2005.html

Eric Bana portrayed the head of the secret squad, being personally chosen by the Prime Minister. Basically, the show narrated his turmoil as an assassin, the conflicts and challenges he had to face from his higher 'authorities', his squad mates, his family. It was also about betrayal and friendship and humanity in carrying out inhumane acts. There is a sense of being trapped as you progress with his character; the feeling of not being able to judge what is right and what is wrong, who can be trusted and who can't.

The actual killings of the hostages were displayed at the end at the peak of the tension that Eric's character faces. As a viewer, you cannot help but sympathize at the turmoil that he went and had to go through, even when he decided to quit the game.

Very good impact.

P.S. 'Black September' popped up a few times in the movie and I had no inkling of what it means. Here's a guide for those of you who are planning to see the movie. It would give you a better idea of what they are talking about and its connection to the show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_September

1 comment:

forestfyre said...

I should have gone for this movie when I was in Manila you know? But all my colleagues were not interested, so ended up didn't go. Should have gone alone instead...

Another one that I missed was 'Brokeback Mountain'. It was shown in Manila when I was there... Missed that too...
Sigh...