DISCLAIMER: The article that you are about to read does not depict anyone, alive or dead, in any way at all. All characters mentioned are fictional, and are derived solely from the writer's imagination.
The next time I ask someone what he or she wants for lunch, and I get "Anything-lah" for an answer, I would really go ask for "Anything" at the food stall. Whether they have it or not; I've done my part. Too bad if he or she has to starve.
Cruel huh?
Think of this; if you had asked what he or she wants, obviously you really have no idea what to get. And you would certainly appreciate if there was some 'suggestion' to give you an idea of what he or she wants to eat. Even if you (especially so if you are the fairer gender) would object to the suggestion sometimes, at least it makes you feel better knowing what other alternatives you could opt for! In a funny sort of way, it narrows your 'scope'!
Most of the time, the defense on this issue is that," I let you decide, it's not like you would agree to what I requested.." Well now, at least if there was a request, it reduces the possibilities wouldn't it? Plus, doesn't this sort of answer say something about that person's perception towards you? (that you are one difficult to please person...hmmm...)
However to be fair to the other party, sometimes "Anything" may mean that "It's alright, you get whatever that is convenient to you" or "I'd settle for whatever you are having" or "I am not a fussy person" or "As long as you are happy, I am alright". I guess I could give them that.
But if "Anything-lah" becomes the standard "Oxford" vocabulary reply, it would get me thinking "Now, now. You do not really care that much to bother about what I am asking do you..." or "I am too busy, do not disturb me with trivial questions like that..I cannot be bothered to think about it.." Well, you'd better start to bother thinking, because trust me; this sort of scenario always happens to individuals with complicated deduction mechanism!
Imagine a marriage proposal:
Man: Will you marry me?
Woman: Anything-lah...
Man: Is that a yes or no?
Woman: It's up to you really....anything you want.
Man: Alright. So is it alright that I ask my Thirteenth Auntie to emcee the ceremony?
Woman: Anything-lah, it's your Auntie. You decide.
Man: Where would you like to go for honeymoon then?
Woman: Anywhere-lah (another form of "Anything-lah..")
Man: (who I'm sure would've gotten agitated by this time) You don't seem to care much for my marriage proposal do you?
Woman: Well, I do. I just want you to do whatever you want to. I am a simple person. I'd accept whatever decision you make. As long as you are happy.
Man: You were not like that when I first met you!
Woman: Well, I wasn't. But I learnt from the best. I learnt it from YOU.
Crude? It's ironic that Women always seem to have the last say in any arguments or decisions huh! (Some men too anyway). However, it doesn't exactly matter who has the last say; there are times when it is actually good to 'argue' your opinion out a little. At least it builds the respect and the dimishes the impression that you do not have an opinion of your own. Just avoid turning it into a wrestling match!
Remember that it always takes two to tango properly. Do an "Anything-lah" step and you'd end up treading on your partner's tail, so to speak.
It is good to be 'complicated' at times and not so "Anything-lah".
Sunday, February 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment