Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Deer Got Married! III


We stopped by KLCC – I think it has been 2 years since I was last there. It was not as pretentious as compared to the last time I was there (case of inferiority complex!) but now it somewhat reminded me of places like Ngee Ann City or Raffles City. Walked around, lots of sales were going on, and could not help but eye the shoes - my main weakness – submitted to it in the end.
We ended up in Gloria Jeans for coffee.

Attempting to look for Kafe Ceylon Hill was not as easy as the map made it to be. We followed the roads alright, but were soon sort of ‘lost’ in the ‘maze’ of houses. We made it there after 15 minutes or so of ‘exploration’ and were greeted by sculptures and a quaint looking double storey house with lots of trees in its vicinity. It reminded me of some Amazon (not that I’ve been there, but Discovery Travel is pretty useful sometimes) Survivor looking spot, minus the giant trees.

We went in, at loss of where to go, until we saw a familiar looking ‘entity’ up in the loft – Wesson on his way to the toilet (ha-ha!). We made our way up the stairway, and there looking resplendent in her red cheongsam was my deer!!
A few exchanges of words and a hug later, the guys got down to chatting to one another; Cally and I lingered around, contemplating whether to change or not. In the end, we decided to go downstairs to ‘sprinkle rose petals’ on the reception tables.

I guess I should fast forward to the reception, because I am sure you are getting bored of this narration, and I am getting bored narrating. I could go on all day with the details but to sum it all, Jules arrive soon after, and it really felt good to meet up again, after more than 2 years!

Reception started right on cue with the bride and groom making a grand entrance upon Julee’s (the Master of Ceremony’s) announcement. The rest of us sat to the left of the main reception table, feeling rather ‘bored’ and waiting for the ‘dinner is served’ cue.

The buffet spread was sort of a fusion of western and eastern delicacies, with lamb shanks served alongside ‘bak choy’ in oyster sauce. I would not say that it’s my favourite type of combination, but I shouldn’t complain that much should I! Conversations during the meal ranged from how the food tasted to tempting Julee to come over to Singapore. It drizzled in the middle of the ceremony, and most of us had mozzie visitors enjoying their ‘meals’ too.
There was not much activity, except for some ‘typical awkward’ questions to the bride and groom, the rush-for-the-bouquet-else-you’d-stay-a-spinster tradition (ironically, the bouquet dropped at the feet of a married woman!) and an attempt to make the couple do some egg stunt (which I will not elaborate, because I was not paying attention!). Our table was basically the most ‘passive’ in that reception (haha!).

But I guess, what was more significant to me than anything else that night was the nice warm feeling of meeting your old mates; with whom you’ve lost touch since the Stone Ages. It was nice to know that they have not changed much, and that you could still talk to them like you used to (of course there was a certain cold shoulder that we didn’t miss getting). It brought back the memories of the carefree times spent together, free of worries and commitments. It also reminded us of how time flies, that we were now all grown ups, busy with building our own careers, getting married, starting a family, and that even though we could talk like old times, we were, in fact, different in our own right.
We were already adults.

Perhaps this is a rather anti-climatic ending to the story of My Deer’s wedding, but I am really glad I went. It was a trip that I would remember; an experience of a lifetime, because hey! My deer only gets married once! (I hope!)

To Shiau Ning and Chan Siang – friends, lovers, soulmates, now, forever.

No comments: