Sunday, November 06, 2005

Of Being a Banana and Proud of It II

Think of this scenario. You are on a public bus, and suddenly a bad smell comes wafting through your nose. The persons closest to you is a young fair-skinned guy tuning in to his IPod and a dark guy sitting next to him, holding on to a large red plastic bag of market stuff. Whom would you assume the odour came from?
I must say, that if I was in that sort of situation, somehow or other, I would be biased towards the dark guy. Why, I do not know how to explain, but perhaps it came from prejudices built up over the years. What I would do is to keep scrutinizing the guy to see if it really was him, making sure that my nostrils were at their sharpest. All sorts of thoughts would come running through my mind, the most common being "Typical-lah, what do you expect..." kind of impression on the poor guy.My 'judgement' on him would not end until he unboarded the bus and the odour still lingered in the atmosphere. Then I would start looking around for the next possible 'source', another dark skinned guy perhaps, or some uncle or auntie or maid?! whose physical appearance poses a 'potential' to emit 'odours'.
Never once would I think that it is from that young fair-skinned guy who is tuning in to his IPod. Hey, he is young, he has an IPod, that makes it impossible for him to intoxicate people with odours!
And I claim that I do not (normally) judge a book by its cover.
What a load of Humbug!

No comments: