Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Holy Macaroon!?!

I was so engrossed in 'expressing' myself, that I'd made a wrong 'story referral' in the post before this. Anyway, here was the BIG HINT article that I was actually talking about!

THE HOLY MATRIMONY

People say that Marriage is the most beautiful thing in the world. They are so convincing, that I could not help but kept hinting my darling of close to 5 years to get married. Easier said than done.

And no. We are not married yet.

We both have been staying together for nearly 2 years now (if I hadn’t counted wrongly) and only recently did we actually ‘moved in’ with each other.
My parents are pulling their hair, and he keeps getting when are you going to get married each time he visits my home. Poor darling.

But the thing is, I had always wonder, how would marriage change us? Not only between us, but with other people as well?

I for one (have always imagined) think that I would be pretty amused if people start calling me Mrs. Poh. Even though now I go under the assumed name Mrs. Kaypoh, but I cannot imagine actually being a missus!
Then I tried to combine my maiden name with his name, and I get Mrs. Lee-Poh or Mrs. Poh-Lee (sounds like glass to me). Thank god my surname is not Chai, else I would get Chai-Poh. Plus I’d have to choose the option “Mrs.” instead of “Ms” in all official documents. Imagine how many years that would add on to my “Age”. Missus is all so ‘old’ (no offense my married friends).

Well, that is not always the issue with my ‘settled down’ friends. Some of them are actually proud that they have the missus status. Perhaps because they could sigh with relief that they would not die old maids. Or maybe, the status “Missus” gives them the ‘authority’ over their “Misters” (no pun intended). Their Misters’ friends would now have to respect them, and call them “Ah Sou” – for those whose husbands look like Cheng E-Kin in ”Young and Dangerous”.

One of my closest friends told me once: Please do not change after you are married. I kept thinking and thinking and apart from piling those extra kilos resulting from ahem, the bliss of being married, I assumed that I would never change much. (Even not being married adds pounds, what more after marriage!).

Believe it or not, marriage does actually change you. Especially so when it comes to ‘socializing’. For one thing, if you are a single (attached or otherwise) and you make attempts to recreate the joy of get together of the past – with a married friend that is, you would be very disappointed. Most of the time, you would get answers like “I have to attend his aunt’s cousin’s granddaughter’s daughter’s grandson’s wedding” or “I have to go for pedicure with my mother-in-law” or “I have to give my father-in-law a back rub” and the likes of it.
And that would basically be the response you get each time you ask them out.
Try that ten times over.

It is pretty disappointing to know that once you are married, your social lives goes down the drain? Or you become more selective of your friends, just because your spouse says “No they are bad influence”, or “No I can’t get along with them, and you shouldn’t too.”
Gee, that IS pretty scary.

And even scarier, your friends naturally distance away from you, and they are no longer there when you really need them. True you may have your spouse’s “circle” to turn to, but nothing beats the originals right? (yes, that does not only apply to music CDs). The thing is, being married does not mean giving up the years of friendship that you have so carefully maintained throughout your single years. You may not realize it but maybe (not all the time), your pals know more about you than your husband or wife.

I am glad to say that not all married people are like what I described above. At least there are some “cream of the crop” who make the effort to maintain their circle of friends, and at the same time, introduce a ‘new’ member to it: their spouse.

Sighs. I guess there are pros and cons to everything and that includes the holy institution of MATRIMONY. As long as you are willing and happy with your situation, no one else could do anything about it could they? You know the best.

And now; would I be happier being a Mrs. Lee-Poh or a Mrs. Poh-Lee…..


~KAYPOHLEE~

2 comments:

pearly said...

I personally feel that marriage will not change both of u much cos u are living together now, and know each other inside out?! And the circle of friends, well, u know his friends and vice versa, and i feel it's not gonna change much after marriage too. What's gonna (or HAVE to) change is the level of commitment... hmmm.. that's sumthing to ponder eh!

© k.a.y.l.e.e.© said...

Hey James,
Basically I do not update the other one as often...Just read all the updates here k! How r u getting on in Athens? :D